Front Drive Unit (Remove and Install)
Special tools required for this procedure:
Supplier Part Number Description
Bosch FMG-750 Transmission Jack 750 Kg Europe only
Tesla 1053350-00-A Transmission Jack Cradle Adapter Plate Europe only
Tesla 1063141-00-A 1/2 Ton Economy Transmission Jack North America, APAC only
Tesla 1048391-00-A Drive Unit Dual Motor Cradle - Delrin white
Tesla 1056566-00-A Locating Shim Set, Front Motor
Tesla 1056542-01-A Special 15mm Ratchet Wrench
Tesla 1083189-**-A Tool, ATF oil refiller
Put the vehicle on a 4 post lift.
Recover the A/C refrigerant (refer to procedure).
Note: While the refrigerant is being recovered, continue this procedure.
Remove the HEPA filter duct (refer to procedure).
Remove the cowl screen panel (refer to procedure).
Remove the center caps from the front wheels.
Loosen the axle nuts.
Warning: _Do not continue this procedure until the refrigerant recovery is complete.
Remove the HV Battery (refer to procedure).
Remove the 12V battery cage (refer to procedure).
Release the 4 bolts that secure the coolant reservoir to the front crossmember (torque 6 Nm). Do not remove the reservoir at this time.
10.Carefully lift up the coolant reservoir and disconnect the coolant level sensor harness.
Clamp the coolant hose at the rear of the coolant reservoir.
Carefully move the reservoir to the LH side of the vehicle and plug the coolant hole.
13. Disconnect the compressor HV harness from the forward junction box.
14. Remove the screw that secures the ground strap to the compressor bracket (torque 8 Nm).
15. Disconnect the low voltage harness from the compressor.
16. Release the nuts that secure the A/C lines to the compressor (torque 5.5 Nm).
17. Have an assistant support the compressor. Release the bolts (x3) that secure the A/C compressor bracket to the front drive unit (torque 10 Nm).
18. Remove the compressor and bracket from the vehicle as an assembly.
19. Clamp the drive unit coolant hoses on the front and LH side of the drive unit. Release the coolant hoses from the drive unit.
20. Disconnect the ground strap from the left side of the body (torque 9 Nm).
21. Disconnect the low voltage harness from the drive unit
Note: The connector has a 2-part locking system. To release the connector, pull the large red tab towards the rear of the connector, then push down on the smaller red tab.
1) Pull the large red tab towards the rear of the connector
2) Push down on the small red tab
- Lower the vehicle to access the wheelwell.
- Working from the LH wheelwell, remove powertrian coolant pump 2 from the bracket.
- Clamp the hoses that lead to powertrian coolant pump 2. Release the hoses.
- Move powertrian coolant pump 2 out of the way to gain access the LH side of the drive unit.
- Remove the lower screws (x2) that secure the HV cables to the LH side of the drive unit (torque 7 Nm).
- Release the upper screws (x2) that secure the HV cables to the LH side of the drive unit (torque 7 Nm). Pull the HV cables away from the drive unit.
- Remove the front subframe (refer to procedure).
- Remove battery coolant pump 2 from the bracket on the chassis.
Note: Battery coolant pump 2 is near the RH corner of the bulkhead.
- Clamp the coolant hose on battery coolant pump 2 that leads to the chiller. Release the hose from the pump.
- Move the chiller and coolant pump to the RH side of the working area to provide clearance when removing . the drive unit.
- Remove the acoustic padding from the front drive unit.
- Drain the gearbox fluid from the front drive unit (refer to procedure).
- Remove the RH axle nut.
- Remove the RH halfshaft from the jackshaft.
- Remove the RH halfshaft from the hub. Remove the RH halfshaft from the vehicle.
- Remove the bolts (x2) that secure the jackshaft to the drive unit (torque 30 Nm).
- Remove the LH axle nut.
- Remove the LH halfshaft from the drive unit.
- Remove the LH halfshaft from the hub. Remove the halfshaft from the vehicle.
41.Remove the lower RH section of the acoustic cover from the drive unit..
42.Install the drive unit cradle onto the transmission jack.
- Position the transmission jack underneath the drive unit.
- Raise the transmission jack to support the weight of the drive unit. Ensure that the ridge on the base of the drive unit fits into the channel on the transmission jack.
Caution: Before continuing, ensure that the entire weight of the drive unit is supported by the transmission jack.
- Remove the bolts (x2) that secure the LH side motor mount to the side rail (torque 50 Nm).
Note: The LH side motor mount is removed with the drive unit
46. Release the 4 bolts that secure the RH side motor mount and shear plate to the drive unit (torque 75 Nm).
Warning: While removing the last bolt, support the shear plate. Once the last bolt is removed, there is nothing that supports the shear plate.
Note: The RH side motor mount remains in the vehicle._
- Lower the drive unit out of the vehicle.
Caution: Ensure that no components are caught on the drive unit as it is being removed.
Installation procedure is the reverse of removal, except for the following:
- Reinstall the shear plate to the RH mount.
- When securing the motor to the mounts, use the shim tools to make sure that there is sufficient clearance:
- Attach the 15 mm ratchet tool to a torque wrench.
Caution: Make sure that the ratchet tool is 90 degrees perpendicular to the handle of the torque wrench when using the tool.
- Position the 3 shim tools between the RH motor mount and body.
- Install the bolts (x4) that secure the motor to the RH mount in the order shown (torque 75 Nm).
Note: Use the ratchet tool to fully tighten the first and fourth bolt.
- Install the bolts (x3) that secure the motor to the LH mount (torque 38 Nm).
Caution: Replace all Patchbolt(s).
- Ensure that the RH motor mount shear plate is reinstalled.
- Refill and bleed the cooling system.
- Recharge the A/C system.
- Apply P-80 emulsion to the connector seals on the HV cables before securing the HV cables to the drive unit.
Caution: Do not apply P-80 emulsion to the HV terminals.
Caution: Carefully inspect the connector seals. If any are damaged, replace them.
If this post was useful, register and put like.